“I’ve seen everything. I’m tired. I am tired of these guys thinking she just needs to shut up because this is the way it is, because I’m a woman in our sport.”
What began as isolated complaints against one man has escalated into numerous accounts of inappropriate behaviour at the least - and sexual assault at worst - in professional cycling teams. Women call for change. Now.
Orla Chennaoui uncovers disturbing evidence of sexual abuse and harassment in the women’s peloton – this is pro cycling’s #MeToo moment.
Content warning: This episode contains graphic descriptions of sexual abuse.
The Rouleur Longreads Podcast brings you selected long form articles from the magazine, especially recorded for Rouleur. Don’t stop what you’re doing – do it while listening to the world’s best cycling writing.
The latest in this series is ‘Cycling's #MeToo Moment’, from Rouleur 19.6, written and read by Orla Chennaoui.
Download the Rouleur app and use the code METOO to read the whole issue free of charge.
SPONSORED BY LAKA
We are delighted to have Laka as a brand partner of the Rouleur Podcast.
Laka is a team that looks out of each other. Laka’s collective cover is made for cyclists, for life on and off your bike. Laka has flipped outdated traditional insurance on its head.
No more fixed upfront premiums. Instead, your monthly contributions are based on the collectives’ claims that month. Your max monthly price is capped, but the savings are all yours. Plus, 80% of your money goes straight back into the collective: fixing, replacing, helping, whatever. And the other 20% keeps their wheels spinning. It’s as simple as that.
And when s*** does hit the fan, Laka’s got your back. Claims are handled by experts and usually agreed within a day. With no depreciation or excess. Laka are so over annual contracts locking you in…with Laka – if you want to leave, you can. Anytime.
If you are new to Laka, you can get a £10 credit by signing up today. Just use the discount code: rouleur